Uber Toronto! Earn a flexible income driving with Uber in Toronto!
Ready to be your own boss? Follow the steps below to start driving with Uber Toronto or take a shortcut and let Splend do the legwork for you.
Here’s what you need to get started with Uber in Toronto:
Uber driver requirements in Toronto:
- You need to be at least 21 years old*
- Have an approved smart device
- Create an Uber driver profile
- Apply for a PTC licence
Uber vehicle requirements in Toronto:
- Your car must be a 7-year-old model or newer
- Seat at least 4 people and have 4 doors
- Be registered in Ontario
- Have valid insurance filled out to your name
- Have a fresh Safety Standards Certificate
*note: the minimum age requirement for Splend Members is 25 years
Uber driver requirements in Toronto
Before you hit the road, you need to make sure all your personal documents are up to date and in order.
Sign up to Uber Toronto
You must be over the age of 21 to become an Uber driver in Toronto and have an approved smart device ready.
- Uber approves iPhones and iPads running iOS 9.3 or later.
- Android users should go for single-sim devices running Android 6.0 or and up with at least 2 GB of RAM, an 8-core processor and a minimum screen size of 4.7”.
Create a driver profile and apply online to become an Uber driver partner.
Apply for a PTC licence
Under the terms of a bylaw passed by Toronto City Council, in order to drive with Uber in Toronto, you must have a Private Transportation Company (PTC) licence. Uber handles the paperwork with the City of Toronto, you just need to submit the following documents:
- Driver’s licence – Ontario G Driver’s Licence or equivalent (G1 and G2 are not accepted)
- Proof of work eligibility – passport, residency card, birth certificate, citizenship card or work permit
- Vehicle insurance – issued to the driver’s name
- Vehicle registration – you’re not required to own the car, but it must be registered in Ontario, and you need to submit a copy of both sides of the document
- Safety Standards Certificate – save a copy of the SSC to have it in your vehicle while out driving
You can submit the documents either by uploading photos to your Uber account, or personally at one of the Uber Greenlight Hubs. Once approved, you should receive a PTC licence number within 5 business days.
Uber vehicle requirements in Toronto
Make sure your car is eligible
The car’s age is among the most common issues when applying for Uber, so make sure your vehicle is less than 7 years old (2012 model or newer). Older vehicles are also accepted, however with a number of restrictions:
- Cars up to 10 years old (2009-2011 models) are only allowed in the Greater Toronto Area. In other words, with an older, car you’ll miss out on the best opportunities as you will not be able to do pickups in the City of Toronto, City of Mississauga, Town of Oakville, and Brampton!
- Vehicles up to 20 years old (1999-2008 models) only qualify for food delivery with Uber Eats.
Regardless of its age, your car must also meet the following Toronto Uber vehicle requirements:
- The vehicle must seat at least four passengers in addition to the driver and have four independently opening doors. Full-sized vans or trucks are excluded.
- It has to be in good condition with no cosmetic damage. Salvaged or rebuilt vehicles are not accepted.
- No commercial branding is allowed.
- A full set of snow tires or all-weather tires is mandatory in Toronto and Mississauga from December 1 until April 30.
- The vehicle must pass an inspection every year or every 40,000 km at a licenced mechanic. Once everything is fine with your car, you’ll receive a Safety Standards Certificate that you must upload to your Uber account within 36 days.
Have the papers up-to-date
To be eligible for Uber, the car needs to be registered and have valid insurance:
- The vehicle can be registered to your name or anyone else’s as long as it’s registered in Ontario. To out-of-province registrations, the same applies as to cars older than 7 years: you will not be allowed to pick up riders in the City of Toronto, City of Mississauga, Town of Oakville, and Brampton.
- The insurance must be issued to your name!
The crowning moment: make your car stand out with an Uber sticker
It’s not only useful but also mandatory, so don’t skip this step! Toronto regulations require all Uber drivers to display a decal on their vehicle while online!
Once your PTC licence is approved Uber will mail you a sticker, but you can also request one anytime from the Driver app or at the Greenlight Hub. The bottom-right corner of your windshield and the rear passenger side window are the easiest to spot for riders.
PRO TIP: You can remove it when you go offline to avoid any confusion. Keep the liner it comes with in your glovebox to keep its sticky side clean while not in use.
How can Splend help me become an Uber driver in Toronto?
Splend offers more than just car rental; we provide you with the full service, ensuring you not only become a rideshare driver but will also run a successful business long-term. So let’s see how we can make your job easier:
A vehicle that’s ready to drive
We have a large fleet of vehicles that pass all the rideshare requirements and are ready to hit the streets. Splend offers brand new and new-model cars that provide maximum comfort and safety for you and your passengers. This equals high customer satisfaction and will earn you high driver ratings.
All Splend cars have comprehensive rideshare insurance, so you are always covered in the unlikely event that you are in an accident. Splend also provides Members with 24/7 roadside assistance.
All Splend cars have been inspected by licenced mechanics prior to onboardings, and we also handle the annual revisions. In other words, you only have to jump behind the wheel and start earning an income.
We saved the best for last: Splend members don’t have to worry about wear and tear or warranty issues. Other than tire punctures and damaged windscreen wipers, we cover everything from swapping the worn-out tires, through oil changes, all the way down to the last burnt-out headlight bulb.
Paperwork? No problem!
The best-in-class service we’re so proud of means complete support, and complete means we’re there for you from Day 1, even if you’re new to the world of ridesharing.
Don’t worry if the details are fuzzy; our team can lead you through the entire application process and make sure you can pick up your first passenger as soon as possible.
Additional Member Benefits
Splend Members receive some unique Uber driver benefits such as a dedicated Member Success Representative, a personal health plan, water bottles that you can give away to your riders, to name a few. For more information check out our summary of Member Benefits.
Splend rents vehicles to Uber drivers in Canada, Australia, the UK and Mexico. Splend’s Ontario Member Support Centre is located at 1344 Fewster Dr, Mississauga. Get directions.
For more information about Splend, give our team a call on +1888 507-1458 or email us.